Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Adventures of Super Shopper

I wrapped up work at the beginning of May and spent last week getting the house back into a functional state.  We're getting baby fever over here!!  Things are coming together.. there aren't any large pieces of furniture blocking room entrances or stairways anymore.  The nursery now only contains nursery furniture.  And, thanks to hosting a Mother's Day dinner, my dining room is no longer a storage space!!  A clean house is such a stress relief for me.  If the house is cluttered, I feel cluttered - like I can't even function because there is SO MUCH that needs done.  It's such a relief to have the house back to a manageable state.  Note, the state of the house several weeks ago would have been more than manageable if I could move furniture on my own like I normally can.. or if I could carry a clothes-basket on my own without losing my balance or running into something.  Things seem to pile up when you're more helpless than norm.

Tuesdays I still work for an hour or two so it's my day to "go in town".  I had to be at work by 3, so I set sail at 10:30 am... with a long list of to-dos.  I can say that one of the things I've learned through *trial and error* is to plan shopping trips and use coupons & store sales effectively.  The cashier at Rite Aid today said to me, "Wow... how did you do that?" and I don't even think I did anything great at Rite Aid...

#1  The Local Jeweler's:
I just recently started wearing my watch again.  I'm not parked at my desk all day anymore with a clock on the wall and a clock on my computer and my cell phone on the desk to quickly reference the time.  It's also nice to be able to time contractions with a second hand on my watch.  Except- the battery died on Sunday morning.  So, I took it to the jewelers to get a new battery and see if he can clean it up a bit.  It's a really nice (expensive) watch that my grandmother bought for me as a gift several years ago, but now it's pretty scuffed up and is showing it's age.  It's been through a few repairs and I'm holding out hope that it can be fixed again - but if not I'll probably buy another of the same watch since it's still available.

#2  Go to the surplus store to pick up Cheaper by the Dozen 2.  My husband went shopping by himself on Saturday night and found this.  Instead of impulsively buying it, like he would have two months years ago, he came home and asked about the budget!  *so proud of him*  But, we all love the original so we're excited about the sequel.  And, for the number of times we'll watch it, $4.99 was a good deal.  Total spent:  $5.29

#3  Victoria's Secret:
Free panty (valued at $11.50)
Total merchandise so far: $16.79  Total spent so far:  $5.29

#4  Bath and Body Works:
Free travel sized item from Signature Collection (Mother's Day promo).
I also had a gift card (from our wedding two years ago, yikes!) so I bought some lavender lotion for DH to use for foot and back massages while I'm in agonizing labor in a week or two.  The 6.9-oz bottle was $16 so I almost left without it.. but the lady in the store saw me put it back and showed me I could get three 2-oz sample bottles for $10 (6-oz total), so I did.
1 travel sized signature collection lotion $5  free
3 travel sized body care lotions (buy 2, get 1 free) $15 $10
Total:  $10.59, paid for with gift card.
Total merchandise so far:  $37.99   Total spent so far:  $5.29


#5  Petco:
Free roll of Natural Balance dog food with PALS rewards card (valued at $0.99)
Total merchandise so far:  $39.04   Total spent so far:  $5.29

#6  Toys R Us:  
Return a baby snowsuit because I bought the same size as the neutral snow suit I already had from when my son was a baby.  I bought this with a gift card when I was exchanging duplicate baby shower gifts.  Received store credit of $10.20
Total merchandise so far:  $39.04  Total spent so far:  $5.29 (-$10.20 credit)

#7  Walgreens:
3 Kleenex boxes $3
4 Sugar-free gelatin mixes (go-to gestational diabetes snack!) $1
4 Kraft macaroni and cheese $7.16 - BOGO coupon = $3.58
Shirt that I couldn't pass up as a Father's Day gift $5.99
Total:  $6.42
Total merchandise so far:  $57.22   Total spent so far:  $11.71 (-$10.20 credit)


#8  Lunch:  Wendy's.  I got a Homestyle Chicken combo... and used a coupon for a free chicken sandwich with the purchase of fries and a drink.  Honestly the sandwich would have been enough to fill me up.  
Total: $9.41 - sandwich = $4.54
Total merchandise so far:  $66.63   Total spent so far:  $16.25 (-$10.20 credit)

#9 Family Christian Bookstore:
Coffee cup (Father's Day gift) $7.99 (I thought this was on sale for $5, but it wasn't)
The Husband Project $12.99 50% off = $6.49 
Total:  $15.35
Total merchandise so far:  $88.87   Total spent so far:  $31.60 (-$10.20 credit)



#10  CVS:
3 V05 Shampoo $2.67 - $1 coupon
2 Olay Face Wash $6.73 (BOGO50%) - $3 coupon
Gain dishwashing soap $1 - $0.50 coupon
Total:  $6.26 - $3.83 gift card = $2.43
Total merchandise so far:  $99.89   Total spent so far:  $34.03 (-$10.20 credit)



#11  Rite Aid:
Transaction 1:
2 Pantene 2-in-1 $7.00 - BOGO coupon
Total:  $3.50 and received $2UP
Transaction 2:
2 Frosted Flakes & 1 Rice Krispies $6.00
-$2UP from Transaction #1
=$4.00 and received $2UP
Total merchandise so far:  $112.98   Total spent so far:  $41.53 (-$12.20 credit)



#12  Shoe Department:  Soccer cleats for my son.  His sneakers are literally falling apart, but I swear they will make it until sandal season is in full swing.  Until then, he needs something more reliable for soccer practice.  These match his team colors and were on sale.  Total $17.98
Total merchandise so far:  $130.96   Total spent so far:  $59.51 (-$12.20 credit)



#13  Bed, Bath, and Beyond:
Waterproof Mattress Pad $12.99
As-is picture frame (to boost my total up, so I could use a coupon) $4.98
$19.05 -$5 off purchase of $15 coupon = $13.75
Total merchandise so far:  $150.01   Total spent so far:  $73.26 (-$12.20 credit)



#14  Kohl's:  returning more duplicate baby shower items.  Received $9.99 store credit.
Total merchandise so far:  $150.01   Total spent so far:  $73.26 (-$22.19 credit)

---short break to work for an hour---

#15  Martin's:  I was SO upset that they were sold out of the $1.99/lb ground beef.  I'm going to another store tomorrow to see if I can find some or get a raincheck.
4 Frosted Flakes $15.16 - $6 off instantly & free gallon of milk catalina coupon ($4.50)
3 grape jelly $5.37
1 sandwich bags $1 - $3 off instantly
2 lb chopped ham $5.95
1 lb swiss cheese $6.55
1 head of lettuce $1.99
1 orange juice $3
Total $31.87
Total merchandise so far:  $190.88   Total spent so far:  $120.29 (-$26.69 credit)



#16 Sam's Club:  I got chicken strips, 6 lb of bacon, a block of colby jack cheese, 10 lb sugar, and a new pair of pants for DH.  No coupons or anything used and my receipt is still in the car, so I don't really count this as part of my super shopping adventure.  But all of these things were cheaper at Sam's than the generic versions at the local grocery store. 

#17  Giant Eagle:  I went back to get more Angel Soft 24 double-roll toilet paper for $8.99 but they were sold out!  I did get a raincheck and the cashier explained to me that since it's part of a fuel perks deal, when I do redeem the raincheck, they will give me a $6 gift card (20-cents off 30 gallons of gas equivalent).  So, I might go back and get another raincheck tomorrow before the sale ends.  I wasn't even factoring in the fuel perks when I decided it was a good deal!

#18 McDonald's
It's family night, so happy meals are only $1.99.

I am SO tired!!  But, I got a lot of exercise today!!  And, I always feel better when I accomplish something...  I saved almost as much as I spent today!

We had tacos for dinner:

Yummy!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment