Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pasta Carbonara

I don't remember how I discovered this delicious dish.  I never had it growing up and we've never ordered it in a restaurant.  The first recipe I tried used all of my favorite foods:  butter, bacon, wine, cheese, eggs, spaghetti, and onions.  It's always a little scary cooking something you've never eaten before.. you don't know what it's supposed to look like.. or taste like.  But, it was amazing!!  An instant favorite.

I've since simplified the recipe, drastically.  Here is my super-simple Pasta Carbonara recipe:


Pasta Carbonara
Ingredients:
1/2 pound of bacon
1 box of spaghetti
4 eggs (2 whole, 2 yolks)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  1. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces.  In a skillet, fry bacon until crispy.  Note:  You can't do it in the microwave or use precooked bacon because you'll need to use the grease from cooking in the skillet.



  2. Boil spaghetti according to package instructions.
  3. Mix 2 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of parmesan.  Whisk these ingredients until well mixed.

  4. Drain pasta and return to pot.  Add egg mixture to pot.  Stir immediately and mix well.  Note:  Yes, raw eggs.  The heat from the noodles is enough to cook the eggs and the heat from the pot is some added insurance.

  5. Add bacon and grease to pot.  Stir until well mixed and serve with extra parmesan or toasted bread crumbs on top.



Voila!  Enjoy!


Thanks for reading! Leave a comment, make my day!!

9 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for sharing!!I would love it if you would share this post on the Creative @ Home Wednesday Link-Up! I really think my readers will enjoy it!http://susangodfrey.com/category/home-family/creative-home/Blessings!Susan GodfreyFinding Beauty - http://www.susangodfrey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound and look great. I tried to make this one time, recipe was a little different, it didn't work. I'll try yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was such "hot stuff" with all four stove-top burners going and prep work all over the kitchen. Wayyyy too complicated!! I was so thankful when I learned what I could cut out and simplify and still get the same yummy results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very good! I probably wouldn't want to calculate the calories but looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us at The Becoming Kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love how you've simplified the recipe. I've never had pasta carbonara before, but I'm sure my family would love it (especially since it has bacon AND pasta in it!) Thanks for linking up at Thrifty Thursday, Krissy!

    ReplyDelete