Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Laundry Lessons: Starting Small - How to Keep up

trialanderrorlaundry

Our house came with a stacked washer/dryer set.  It was small, but it worked well and we were blessed to have it.  I exploded a blue pen in the dryer once...  It was a good starter set.

With three people and a small apartment-sized washer/dryer, I eventually got into a routine... because I had to.

Sorting Laundry:


Each morning, I gathered the dirty clothes from each bedroom and bathroom.  I sorted the clothes into whites-darks-and-delicates.

Washing Laundry:


I washed a load of whatever was fullest.  I had to do our sheets in two separate loads, so I did that on Saturdays.  I put a tablespoon of homemade detergent in the washer and turned it on to fill.  When the detergent dissolved, I loaded the clothes.  There was no fabric softener or bleach dispensers in the machine, so I just didn't use either product.

Drying Laundry:


When I got home from work, I switched the clothes to the dryer.  If I got it in early, sometimes I hung the clothes outside to dry all day.

Folding Laundry:


My favorite part of that washer/dryer set was that the dryer was above my head.  So as I pulled clothes out of the dryer, I folded them and put them in the basket.  I didn't have to bend up and down and up and down.

Putting Laundry Away:


The loads were small, so I carried the basket upstairs and put away all the clothes.

Washing a load every day may seem like a lot of work, but it keeps the workload small.  I find it overwhelming to wash every thing on one day, because of the mountain of clothes that needs put away.


Next week, I'll share what I do now that we have a bigger family and a bigger machine!

signature

 

2 comments:

  1. I try to stick with doing one load a day and I always get overwhelmed when I get behind...even 2 days. You're right...folding one load and putting it away each day is so much easier than having loads and loads to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips!

    Would love for you to link it up at my new Empty Your Archive link party which is a chance to dust off great posts from your archive - there is a focus this week on laundry - would really love to see you there, Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete