Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Flats & Handwashing Challenge!


I recently switched to using more prefolds with covers to cut down on laundry (usually you can reuse the cover) while I'm out-of-commission with my broken leg.  It's been great!  I was typically washing every 2-3 days and washing between 12-20 pocket diapers at a time.  But, since I switched, between Saturday morning and Monday night I only had 10 diaper shells in the wash!  If I would stop using pockets completely it would have been even less.  I'm even more excited at the prospect of less laundry because of our newest addition arriving in July!  I had already planned to use prefolds and covers on the baby, but cutting down Raegan's diaper laundry is an added bonus!

And, because I've been spending a lot of time on the couch and I will hopefully be feeling quite a bit better in a few weeks, I signed up for the Flats & Handwashing Challenge this year.



Flats:  I've never used flats, so I need to get some!  I think I'm going to grab a few flour sack towels at Target and just see how I like those.  They also have them at Sam's Club but I heard they are huge!  Like these ones...

I also read how to fold an old t-shirt to use as a flat, which I might try because I have a lot of old t-shirts laying around.  Maybe we can get Daddy to clean out his t-shirt drawer, too!



Covers:  I'm going to use my Softbums shells, just so I can reuse them and not wash as many shells every day!  The Echo shells are just like a regular cover and the Omni shells can also be used as a pocket.  I have a few of both!


I have a package of Dappi covers that I have never opened from when Raegan was a newborn and I have some Size 1 Thirsties Duo Wraps that I'm sure would fit my skinny toddler so I will use those as back-ups if I have to.  I could also stuff her pocket diapers with flats but I'm not sure how absorbent that would be.



Washing:  I haven't quite figured this part out yet.  I think I am just going to use the trash can that I use as a diaper pail and the plunger we already have, instead of making a "camp washer".


I should do a test run, but I'm having surgery next week and I don't think it will be high on my priority list until later in the month.



Drying:  I love my clothesline.  On rainy days, I hang diapers on pants hangers on my shower rail.  I would love a pulley clothesline like this one.  But, I don't think there is a chance I'll get one installed before the challenge.






So, I'm excited to try out something new!  And, hopefully I'll get really good at handwashing and we can do a lot of camping without worrying about laundry!! :) I'll post about the challenge while it's going on and you can sign up here if you'd like to participate with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment