Monday, March 25, 2013

Taking Care of Me - Exercise

You know those things that you know you're supposed to do.. and you know why you're supposed to do them.. but you still don't?  For some it's flossing.  For some it's eating vegetables.  For me, it's exercise.

Taking care of my family requires that I first take care of myself.  For the first few months of the year, I focused on taking care of myself spiritually.  I joined a Hello Mornings group and started reading my Bible (almost) every morning.  It's a habit that everyone should try.  I know, mornings aren't prime-time for most people, but starting the day off in the Word put everything in a different perspective.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NLT) says, "19 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body."

Now, I need to focus on taking care of myself physically. God gave me this body, and I need to take care of it.  Especially because I need to be healthy to be able to take care of these beautiful children He has blessed me with!

I have been so tired since I had Raegan.

I got to the point that I would pile things at the bottom of the staircase to take up in one trip before bed, because going up more often than that was too much effort.

If I forgot my office keys in my car at work, and I realized half-way to my office, half-way was too far to turn around walk the "whole way" back to my car.

When Raegan started sleeping through the night and I was still exhausted, I couldn't use the "newborn" excuse anymore.

I am just fat and tired.

"You're not fat!"  That's so nice of you, but I am.  I am not healthy.  I am overweight.  And, telling me that I'm not fat is not good for my health.

"But you just had a baby!"  I know.  But she's 9 months old now and I lost all of my "baby weight" in the first 3 weeks.  This is what I weighed before I got pregnant.

According to my BMI, I was just bordering on obesity before I really started to watch what I eat.  A BMI of 30 constitutes obesity, and mine was 28.6.  I struggled with gestational diabetes during my pregnancy as a result of my weight, and I only have a brief time period to get myself together before I'm at very high risk for Type 2 diabetes.

And, I know that.  I know the facts.  I know the solution.  I just don't do it.  I make excuses.

I'm too tired.  I'm okay with my appearance.  My husband loves me no matter what I look like.  I don't want to buy new clothes.  I can't afford to buy new clothes!!!

Enough already.  I'm focused and determined to get myself back down to a healthy weight.

 

My Current Exercise Plan


Couch-to-5k (with and without the jogging stroller) at least 3 times a week

Nike Training Club "Slim Chance" Workout at least 3 times a week

I've wanted to do the Couch-to-5K program for years.  Yes, years.  But, I always had an excuse to put it off.  Not anymore!  I am done with week 1 and starting week 2!  By the end of "week 1", I was bored with the intervals and started running longer than the prescribed time.

 

I have more energy.  Exercise gives you energy.  I always forget that until I start to exercise again.  :)

 

 

1 comment:

  1. [...] relatively new thing for us, so we’re taking baby steps.  In order to even have enough energy to exercise, we have to change our diets and fill our bodies with the nutrients they need to function.  As the [...]

    ReplyDelete